Saturday 15 December 2007

Video Library issues - legal and technical issues

The first concern is legal, but I have covered this by mentioning that the site is only going to be for teachers to access the videos, and perhaps to make them available to the pupils to download for learning. I believe that this shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Technically I have already encountered the first issue with the use of a video library. The maximum upload is set by default at 8mb and the server I currently have is not going to be big enough if we start to upload a lot of videos. For a real video library to work I will need to splash a bit more cash out and go for the package one or two steps up from the one I have.

I can change the maximum upload size and retain the maximum upload size for pupils as is, so that isn't a problem. I will change the maximum upload size on Los Alamos now to try and accomodate the extra space needed for video and we'll see if this works.

NOTE TO SELF FOR LATER: Ensure that the setting for the main site is changed to accomodate files larger than the present 8mb limit.

2 comments:

Sabir Leafar said...

I'll put it plainly:
We simply cannot hope to run an entire Department site, let alone if we open it to other people, from your server - probably not even if you upgraded.
The size of the task, the managing issues associated, etc, mean that this should be hosted in the wads of space that the school server has already.
Now THIS is where money should change hands. The school should offer its space, and give money to someone (yes, that is probably you and me) to run the show - be it using Moodle, Frog, or whatever the thinking heads (?) decide.
This is why I am always a bit sceptical when I see this project growing. Yes, I can see all the potential in it and all the things we could be doing with it; and I am more than happy to provide content for my students while I learn how to manage a VLE.
But I am NOT going to be a webmaster for the whole school out of the kindness of my heart - sorry, but been there, done that.

Andytgeezer said...

Hmmm good point well put. I'll put videos up for myself and you but will factor out other departments but just casually drop this into the February presentation that we happen to have some way to circumvent the system...

I have already had people from other departments asking me how to get youtubes cos the resentment is there.

I'll just do it then to prove it can be done and to showcase the potential on offer, but I'm not going to factor this into the expansion plans.